When I meet prospective or new students who are planning on coming to Butler, we talk about many things … from majors, to residence halls, to campus life … but we rarely talk about something that is really important: What to expect as a student. So, since I will be a senior in college in exactly 3 weeks, I am going to tell you just that, broken down into each year.
- Freshman year – If you ask me, freshmen have it made in the shade at school. Professors have lower expectations since you are new to college, classes are easier, about probably half of the events on campus are just for you, and basically, life is good. Whether you choose to go through recruitment for Greek Life or not, check it out and seriously consider if it is for you or not. That was one of the best parts of my freshman year, going through recruitment and meeting some of my best friends in the entire world through my sorority.
42 of my favorite ladies ever - my pledge class Freshman year....
- Sophomore year – Sophomore year is like freshman year … but harder. All of the sudden it’s like you are old news, and not so special. But, you know more people on campus, so going to events is basically 10x more fun. Also, classes get exponentially harder, which is not so fun. But, since you have that already established group of friends from the start, it is like you’re coming home from a long vacation at the beginning of the year, which I absolutely loved.
My build group from Yell Like Hell sophomore year...
- Junior year - Personally, junior year was my favorite year yet. Academically, it was wonderful because I was taking a ton of classes in my major for the first time, and I was basically done with all my prerequisites. Socially, it was amazing because I knew even more people than I did when I was a sophomore, which made for an absolutely amazing Welcome Week. It was also the year when I started really getting involved in my clubs on campus, and I felt like I as actually making a difference. All in all…it was fabulous.
All of the Butler 500 Festival Princesses...love these ladies!!
- Senior year - I have no idea yet!!! My time at Butler has been more than I could have ever imagined, and I can’t wait to see what this last year is going to be like! So stay tuned to see what happens!
So next week is what we have all been waiting for (or at least some of the freshman and most people on Butler’s campus who are Greek)…..RECRUITMENT! I am personally super excited for it for numerous reasons….
- I love recruitment. It is as simple as that.
- I have been disaffiliated from my chapter all semester, because I am going to be a recruitment counselor. We disaffiliate so that the girls going through recruitment don’t know what house we are in, so we help them throughout the week while staying completely unbiased. So I absolutely cannot wait to wear my letters again!
- Did I say that I love recruitment??
I think that recruitment is all around amazing because it provides an opportunity the girls who go through it to learn more about themselves and others in a way that you can only get through sorority recruitment. It also provides the perfect opportunity for girls in the houses to spend as much time as possible in the house with all of their sisters. Recruitment week is the perfect time for sisterhood to grow and develop, because you spend all day every day with the girls in your house, while you focus on everything that your chapter was founded on.
I absolutely cannot wait for next week, because I know that amazing things will come from it. My freshman year, during recruitment I obviously joined my chapter, I had the time of my life, and I met one of my absolute best friends. Last year, my sophomore year, my love for my chapter grew exponentially, I had the time of my life, and I moved into a room with my 3 best friends (who I get to live with again this semester…I can’t wait…I have missed us being together more than I could have ever imagined). So, this year obviously has a lot to live up to….because the last two years have been so amazing. But I am sure that I am going to become great friends with girls in the other houses who are also recruitment counselors. I can’t wait! Keep checking back for recruitment updates next week!