Olivia ’12 RSS feed

My name is Olivia and I am a senior at Butler University. I spend most of my time in Lilly Hall as a BFA Dance Performance major. When not in rehearsal or ballet class, I write papers for my English Literature second major. In my super-abundant, never-lacking, this-is-highly-sarcastic spare time, I attempt to cook in my apartment kitchen, watch Youtube videos of ballet, knit sweaters that never seem to come to an end, and read books both silly and serious. If I could take any class at Butler just for kicks, I'd go for DiffyQ.

Olivia

Tips for college living, #2

Ah, the out of state student. How envious are you of your friends who can drive home with a basket full of dirty laundry, a bin of papers and textbooks, and as many sweatshirts/sweaters as will fit in the trunk of a car!

I feel for you, out of state students who take to the airport–not to the road–when holiday time rolls around. I therefore offer forth this list of travel tips.

Tips for college living, #2: The airport edition

1. If you wear your college gear, expect strangers to strike up conversations with you concerning your school, your major, and your hometown. If you are in the talkative mood, go for it! If your flight is exceptionally early in the morning or late at night, perhaps skip the Butler sweatshirt.

2. If you sit in an exit row, expect the flight attendant to ask your age. One must be over fifteen to sit in an exit row; I still get inquiries. Go figure. Aaaand… this is not really a tip. Next!

3. Bring an empty water bottle through the security checkpoint. This avoids going over the 3 ounce limit on liquids and still saves you the cost of buying overpriced drinks once in the gate area. You can fill the bottle at a water fountain. As a typically-money-strapped college student, I approve of all budget-friendly tricks.

4. Backpacks make excellent carry-on items. As a college student, I have several backpacks from which to chose. Also, you can pack dirty clothes to take home and wash and wear… you should simply be a bit more selective than your “I’m driving home this weekend” friends.

5. Obtain a luggage scale. Most airlines place a 50 pound limit on checked baggage. If you are checking a bag, weigh it ahead of time so you won’t have to shuffle items between bag and carry-on. If you see you have room, try to think of items you no longer need at school. For instance, I had extra space (by “space,” I mean “weight”) in my bag this trip home, so I brought back some books I no longer need at Butler.

Now if only I could find a spot for them on my overstuffed bookcase…

Right, I suppose those tips were not overly helpful. Some were more comments than tips, and other don’t apply just to college students. By all standards of goodness and light, I should delete this entire post and spare you the pain of reading it. Then again, if you are still reading this far, it is of your own volition.

Tip 6. Choose a seat near the front of the plane. It’s much faster when deplaning! The further up, the better, I say. Randall Munroe, creator of webcomic  XKCD, agrees with me. So it must be true.

19 Responses to Tips for college living, #2

1. Great college prep article. Very informative. Thank you.

Kitchen Remodeling Lunenburg MA

2. Herman says:

Good preparatory article for my college kid

3. [...] Golden Tate   Agents of SHIELD   South Park Stick Of Truth   lakers   Motley Crue [...]

4. need a plasterer in st albans jc moffat plastering is a great plasterer

5. Sarah Moffat says:

best raspberry ketone uk

6. Herman says:

great tips …esp about getting a seat at the front of the plane for a fast exit.

7. I can still remember when I was in college back in the days. I had to fly back back during holidays and I had to carry my luggage full of dirty laundry.

8. A great guide on getting ready for college. This is a must read. Great post. keep it up

9. Great information on college living for out-of-state students. Thank you!

Computer Repair Fitchburg MA

10. Pete says:

A great way to afford a college education is to click on the linkn above

11. This video is an example of how you can quickly create a video within minute but it will make you money for long time to come check out this channel if you are interested

12. As a student, you should be paying for your tickets using a rewards card so that you receive not just mileage rewards but other bonuses as well.

13. Participating in paid online surveys on the other hand,
    pas from a few dollars, to a hundred dollars per survey.
    The big question lurking in the back of your
    mind is how do you make money. In no time, you’ll be talking to someone
    who has first hand knowledge of what you are planning.

14. Flossie says:

The usefulness and function of the Internet is becoming more updated that more people are now getting hooked to it.
    Google Ad – Sense – Another form of affiliate marketing, Google Ad – Sense provides a way for small and large websites to monetize their content by allowing advertisers to promote relevant products or
    services on their sites. They say all you have to
    do is spend a few minutes filling out surveys.

15. Earning money online as an affiliate marketer is easier than you might think.
    Your premises need only be a bit of space on your kitchen table.
    Here is all you need to do to be successful with this, and SO few “gurus” are teaching this the “right” way that
    it drives me nuts.

16. Sarah says:

Lol, I so agree, washing machine is the way to go. :D

17. Olivia says:

Haha! Oh, I do! I scorn those who bring all their laundry home a little bit, is all. :) I suppose I shouldn’t perpetrate the college stereotype. I will admit that a few dirty sweaters came home with me; I did laundry before I left, but there were a couple days between my use of a washing machine and my departure, and I love my sweaters. But no, you are right… That is by far the simpler strategy.

18. Tandblekning says:

I know a MUCH simpler strategy. Learn how to use a washing machine. :)