For the first time in 4 years I DID NOT WORK BLACK FRIDAY. My first day ever in retail back when I was a junior in high school was Black Friday, so of course I had gotten used to the dreaded day. However, not having to work retail today was the best feeling ever.
I was able to experience a lot for the first time not working Black Friday. There was no waking up at 3 AM to make it to work at 4 AM. I didn’t have to fold any clothes or ring up people at the cash register for my entire shift. I didn’t have to deal with crazed customers trying to get clothes that are already cheap to begin with. Did I mention I worked at Forever 21? How clothes can get any cheaper there I really have no idea. On top of that the girls I know working there now had to do a double shift today.
Instead of dealing with crowds of crazy people going out at all hours of the night I slept in. Ate leftovers. Caught up with Scandal (Yes, I finished 3 seasons in 4 days it’s embarrassing) Watched a great game of the dawgs, which didn’t end up the way I wanted it, but nonetheless was still a great game. Now I am just writing this blog to explain how after 4 years of Black Fridays, I might miss the craziness a little bit… Who am I kidding? No Black Friday today was amazing! But to all those in retail I understand your pain and for that reason I stayed in today! Here’s a video to get you excited for the season!
Tagged: Black Friday, butler, crazy, Dawgs, forever21, holiday, Jimmy Fallon, retail, shopping, Thanksgiving, university, Work
Over this break all I have been doing is working. Work has not been too bad because the days go by really fast with so many people shopping. Plus all the college kids are back at work, so it’s just like how it used to be when I worked there. There are a couple things that bother me about working at the mall though.
1. Crazy Shoppers/Drivers/Moms
I understand you are trying to get exactly what your daughter wants, but if your daughter gave you a list from online we most likely don’t have that item in the store. If we did have the item in the store unfortunately I probably would not be able to best assist you because I have only been back at work for a week, and if you didn’t realize we have thousands of pieces of clothing in the store. Also drivers please don’t take up an entire lane just because you are waiting for a spot. You make it difficult for me to get around you and when I have only 10 minutes to find a spot and get to work you are making my life insane. I’m sorry I am ranting but if anyone would like to work a day at the mall you would experience these same things.
2. Crazy Work Hours
Because it is Christmas time the mall decides to open earlier and close later. Unfortunately for us this means that we have to come in earlier and stay later also… a lot later. The mall has been opening at 8 am and closing at 11 pm, which maybe helping but a lot of people don’t even know we are open and closing that early or late. Tonight will be the first night that I have to close with these hours so it should be interesting, and tomorrow I have to go to work at 6 am so I will see how miserable this will be!
3. Things that I can’t change
I’m sorry I can’t change the prices of clothing. I can’t change the fact that we charge for our Christmas boxes. And also I can’t change our exchange policy. I think people think that because I work at Forever 21 I have some magical power to change things. There’s literally nothing I can do. Please do not get mad at workers. It’s not like we look forward to dampening your spirits while you shop. If anything we just want to go home!
I did not mean to rant, but for all of you who do these things I don’t hate you I just wish you would reconsider the situation. While you may not be too thrilled to shop at the mall during this time, many of us are not too thrilled to be working 40+ hours these next few weeks. Anyway for all of you that want a white Christmas I wish you the best of luck, but Indiana isn’t going to cooperate! So here’s a little something to keep you hopeful.
This week is Thanksgiving Break, but you could have fooled me. I feel like I have barely been home except only to sleep, which is basically how I am when I am at school. I live only 25 minutes away from Butler, but I haven’t been back home since Fall Break. I try to stay away from home as much as possible so I actually feel like I am part of campus!
Although I missed home I missed working a lot. This may sound weird to people. Even though my job can be tiresome, stressful, and exhausting at times, I love the people I work with and I love the fact I get to look at clothes all day. I work at Forever 21 and as always here’s a look over my schedule.
Black Friday: 6am – 4pm
Oh yes that is right I am working Black Friday. Last year on Black Friday it was my first day at Forever 21, you could say I am excited to experience Black Friday as an experienced person finally.
With all this work I haven’t really felt like I have been on break. I still have an 8 to 10 page research paper to write that’s due when I get back. I also have my business plan presentation to give when I get back and a paper to write due by Sunday. Most of my friends didn’t get on break until yesterday so everyone is finally home. Hopefully I get to see some of my best friends, but with my schedule who knows, it may have to wait until Christmas Break!
One thing I have been able to do is go to Butler games still and tonight there is a game, so GO DAWGS! Last game I got front row at Dawg Pound because there is basically no one here!
Front row Dawg Pound!!!
As for the video if you have never seen it, just be amazed. Plus COME BACK TO BUTLER JIMMY!!!
I know I love Butler, but there are a few things that I miss about home that I did not think I would miss!
- Laundry: I never thought I would miss being able to doing laundry whenever and just downstairs in my house. Now this includes quarters, carrying a ton of laundry down three flights of stairs and then up three flights of stairs. It takes so much effort just to do some laundry. On the positive side, I work at Forever 21 so my clothes are pretty much endless for the most part!
All the laundry I need to do :(
- Mom’s Food: I miss my mom’s food so much. I am half Japanese and my mom cooks authentic Japanese food. I miss rice, and not like Atherton or Resco rice, like my mom’s legit sticky white rice. The one good thing though about Atown and Resco is that I love the salad bar, but still I miss my mom’s food.
- Working: I never thought I would say this, but I actually miss working at my job. I work at Forever 21 but currently I am a seasonal worker. I could still work, but I’m too worried about them overdoing my hours and then not being able to have enough time to do school work. I used to hate working because I was working so much, but now that I’m on a hiatus because of school I miss it!
Oh, clothes. Such a bad & good job all at the same time!
- Mikan: Mikan is my cat’s name. In Japanese it means tangerine, which you can understand as you see the picture! I used to not be a big fan of my cat, but I miss it coming up to me and wanting to be pet, and all that jazz.
It looks like a snake, but my cat likes to sleep in the sink.
- Friends: I miss my really good friends and even my not so good friends! I see a lot of them because I visit a lot, but there’s some that I can’t see because they are too far, so I want to see them soon!
The sad thing about all of this is that I’m only 20 minutes away from home… yeah I’ll stop complaining now. Happy Friday!!!
I’m sorry I couldn’t help myself… this video just makes me laugh oh the 80’s.