Katie ’15 RSS feed

Hi I'm Katie, I am a junior at Butler. I am a Strategic Communication major with a focus in Public Relations. I love being involved in campus and hold positions in College Mentors for Kids and Dawg Pound. I am also a Butler Student Ambassador, Morton Finney Scholar, and a member of Pi Beta Phi. I am huge Indy sports fan! Currently I am studying abroad in Sydney Australia!

Katie

Throwback Thursday

Recently I changed my Facebook name to incorporate my middle name, Miki. If you never read my blog before then you probably don’t know that I am half Japanese. Miki in Japanese means future hope. At first I used to hate my name, let me explain.

Throwback: When I was younger I used to hate that I was even half Japanese. A lot of the time I got made fun of for having different eyes or being told by others that I am suppose to be good at math because I am Asian. Being different to me meant that I would just get made fun of. When I was younger I didn’t understand why out of all my siblings I looked the most Asian. I would get made fun of things I brought to lunch. I don’t want to make this some sob story. I will not say I was bullied because I think bully is very intense word, and that’s not what happened to me.

Now: I have realized how proud to be who I am. How many people can say they were born in a different country in America? I can. I love that I can have authentic Japanese food from my mom, and I love that I have two amazing cultures to learn from. Being different is not a bad thing, if anything it is a good thing. Being different has brought me so many opportunities, and has also opened my eyes to a lot of different things. Now that I have realized this I am definitely open to so much more. It makes me sad that there are still people today in society who think different is bad, because in reality different is what has gotten us to today.

So yes my middle name is Miki, and while it took me a while to realize that it doesn’t suck to have a middle name that is a Disney character it took my longer to realize that everyone should be proud of what they stand for, and who they are.

When I was little!

31 Responses to Throwback Thursday

1. Acceptance and tolerance and forgiveness, those are life-altering lessons.

2. May Ozone says:

I love how I can enjoy two different cultures at the same time

3. Lap camera says:

4. sua may tinh says:

each person is born an angel

5. Indeed we should be proud of the name given our parents, wherever they come from

6. Thuc Nguyen says:

Wow, this ‘s a good photo.Nails Eastpointe

7. san vinyl says:

Hello Katie,
    Cute your photo
    I like your post, and hope all like your post too.

8. khoa cua says:

hey
    salut from romania
    i read your articles often
    greetings from andrew

9. mit says:

khóa cửa

10. Great post! :)
    I hope success for you…

11. This blog made me think more about my roots, like you, my eyes also is so small,when I smile they look like clews, but I love them. I think you look so cute with yours eyes, and Mike also a lovely name.

12. wow. now i know/ thanks for sharing

13. Be proud to be who you are. Being different is not bad because all of us has its own uniqueness.

14. jasa web says:

I really agree.. being different is not something bad, i love being different, and i always try to be the most different then anyone else, because different is cool. you dont have to be sad because you’re also beautiful :D

15. hey
    salut from romania
    i read your articles often
    greetings from andrew

16. Just caught up on your blog…

lowongan kerja

17. Just caught up on your blog, Be Proud Be Very Proud you are a awesome young lady that the Pressley’s love!

18. Omarinu says:

Hi Katie… Indeed we should be proud of the name given our parents, wherever they come from, and I am proud of you ….

Penting,Panas,Perlu Dan Seruu

19. wp themes says:

remembering earlier life will sometimes give joy

20. Hello Katie,
    Cute your photo :)
    I like your post, and hope all like your post too.

Thanks

21. Kathy says:

Hello Katie, greetings from Pocono Mountains, PA. Miki sure is a nice name with a promising meaning. I can see your direction of life is heading towards it’s meaning. The majority of people I have come across always have more than one roots. I also am half-half. Half Italian, Half Polish. Nice blog post Miki. Thank you.

22. beanbags says:

Acceptance and tolerance and forgiveness, those are life-altering lessons.

23. Well you know, I’m from Belgium, so I totally get what you mean. And I might be wrong about the number, but in the end more than 80% of people who live in the US have their roots outside of the US. They’re not all native americans…

24. Nancy says:

I definitely understand this. I’m also half-half, or so they call it. What’s worst is I’ve always been travelling with my parents when I was little and had to change schools quite often, everywhere I go, people would look at me different because I’m not local, add that to the fact that my parents are from two distinct cultures. The pressure you get from being different can be weird sometimes, but I’ve also enjoyed it growing up, because some of my friends would be interested in the fact that I’m different. There were times I wasn’t proud of it, but growing up I’ve learned to appreciate it as well, I love how I can enjoy two different cultures at the same time. :)

25. connexion says:

hey
    salut from romania
    i read your articles often
    greetings from andrew

26. amit says:

Well i am from India, Its a very diverse country on the basis of geography, religion, language, genetic, racial, caste-based( its getting lesser).
    I was lucky that my father was an Indian Army Soldier, So I was born in J & K region, my fathers job was transferable, so we had to move in every 3 years to a different location in the country, So in that sense i was lucky because i lived in much more multicultural society than my other cousins.

Future of Human race depends upon our Tolerance level.