At many colleges and universities, applications get submitted but are not really read thoroughly. At Butler University, this is NOT the case. The fact is, we carefully review each and every piece of your application to ensure we are making the correct admission decision. Rather than just looking at test scores and grades, we take a holistic approach to reviewing your application. So, what does the application review process look like? Here’s a brief overview for you:
- When we receive your finished application, the operations team ensures that we have every piece that is needed for it to be considered complete (i.e. test scores, transcript, essay, resume, etc.).
- The operations team then sends it into the appropriate counselor’s queue.
- The first thing the counselor reads is the actual application (either the Butler application or the Common Application).
- We review your transcript to see what types of classes you are taking, how rigorous your schedule is (ex: AP, IB, honors, etc.), if you’ve completed the necessary coursework for the program you are applying to, and any grade trends that we should be aware of.
- From there, we evaluate your test scores. We do not have a preference between the SAT or ACT, but we do require at least one writing score.
- Next, we read your essay or personal statement. This is your chance to shine! It is an open space for you to share who you are and showcase your use of the English language. Despite what you might hear, we actually read every single word in your essay or personal statement. Please know that we aren’t just asking for an essay just for the sake of asking.
- After reading your essay, we review your resume of activities. We are looking to see what clubs and organizations you are a part of, if you’ve been a leader in any of those areas, whether or not you volunteer or work part-time, and more. Remember, we don’t need your entire history. It is sufficient to only include what you’ve done during your high school years.
- Reviewing your Secondary School Report (SSR) is the next step in this timely process. A SSR is prepared by your school and gives a profile of you, the school, the student body, etc.
- If you have a letter or letters of recommendation, we review those next. Again, we DO read every single one of these. Letters of recommendation are a great way for us to get to know you better, so included them whenever possible.
- Finally, we make the admission decision. For a complete list and description of decision types, view our latest blog.
There is so much that goes into every step of the application review process and this is just a short overview. We realize that every single student is different and every circumstance is different. That is why we are so careful throughout this process. If you have more specific questions, contact your admission counselor or comment below.