As a newly admitted student to Butler University’s Class of 2017, we invite you to learn more about New Student Registration (NSR) before arriving on campus. You might be wondering what exactly happens during this event and why it’s so important. Basically, NSR is a one-day event for new students to register for classes, learn more about Butler University and their major, meet other newly admitted students, and tour campus. You might even get the opportunity to meet Blue II and Blue III (a.k.a. “Trip”). There are also helpful sessions for parents and guardians.
Below is an abbreviated schedule of the day:
10:00 a.m.—Official Welcome
11:00 a.m.—Students: College Meetings
11:00 a.m.—Parents: Making the Transition
1:00 p.m.—Students: Academic Advising Appointments
1:00 p.m.—Parents: College Meetings for Parents
1:45 p.m. and 2:45 p.m.—Information Sessions
1:45 p.m., 2:45 p.m., and 3:45 p.m.—Campus Tours
1:45 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.—Residence Hall Open House
If you’re not sure how to select your NSR date, please refer to our step-by-step guide. Still have questions? Get advice from those who have recently experienced this event by reaching out to them on the Class of 2017 Facebook page.
We look forward to seeing you on campus in the near future.
Tagged: 2017, blue, bulldogs, butler, campus, class, college, event, major, mascot, meeting, new, nsr, orientation, registration, student, trip, university, visit, welcome
As a sophomore or junior, you might already be thinking about where you want to go to college. If so, we want to help you get organized. We’ve compiled a short list of activities you can start checking off your to-do list.
- Start thinking about careers you might want to pursue. Interactive sites such as Drive of Your Life can help you learn more about the 16 different career clusters and the areas that might interest you.
- Check in with your counselor to make sure you have your junior and senior year coursework mapped out. View the list of Butler University admission requirements.
- Look for summer volunteer or job options. These will look great on a resume!
- Take the PSAT or PACT. You can even take practice tests online for free.
- Start researching colleges and universities. Sites such as Cappex.com, Zinch.com, CollegeXpress.com, and CollegeBoard.com can be extremely helpful.
- Being gathering information about cost of tuition, scholarships, and financial aid. Do not discount a private college or university because many times they are as affordable as a public institution. View our “Opportunity Cost” blog for more information.
- Take the ACT and/or SAT. Research which test the schools you are applying to prefer. If you are better at one test, you might want to think about retaking it because many schools “superscore” (colleges will look at the results of all attempts at the SAT and/or ACT. The school will take the highest score in each subsection, even if on different attempts, and will compile these to calculate the superscore).
- Start visiting schools. Butler offers campus visits throughout the year and on select Saturdays. See a complete list of visit opportunities.
- Review your senior schedule with your counselor. Remember that AP and honors courses look great on a transcript!
- Ask for recommendation letters now. There is nothing worse than waiting until the last minute to ask for a letter of recommendation, so why not ask early?
For more information about what you should be doing next, view our Plan for Success. Have questions? Ask your admission counselor. Not sure who to ask? View the interactive map.
Tagged: act, admission, aid, bound, bulldogs, butler, checklist, classes, college, counselor, courses, financial, freshmen, gpa, grades, junior, palnner, sat, schedule, senior, sophomore, student, university, visit
Have you recently been admitted to Butler, but still haven’t picked out which New Student Registration (NSR) date you would like to attend? Maybe you’ve already decided to call Butler your home this fall, but aren’t sure what you need to do next. We are here to help you!
With New Student Registration dates quickly filling up, we ask that you select your top three date preferences as soon as possible.
- Log in to the student status page.
- Click on New Student Registration Date Selection Form under “Forms.”
- Complete the form and click “Submit.”
We realize that many students are hesitant to select a NSR date and want to give you a few reasons why it is a good idea to do so. New Student Registration allows you to:
- Schedule your classes
- Meet other newly admitted students
- Get to know your professors
- Mingle with current students and make friends before you even move to campus
- Meet your academic advisor
- Sit in on helpful sessions to prepare you for your college journey
Still deciding between schools? That is fine too. We highly recommend that you attend NSR because it is a great way to help narrow down your choices. As long as you make your final decision by May 1, your $300 enrollment fee is completely refundable. Please do not hesitate to contact your admission counselor or email email@example.com with any question you make have. We will be more than happy to assist you.
Tagged: 2017, admission, april, butler, campus, class, classes, date, early, form, indiana, indianapolis, june, march, may, new, orientation, registration, select, selection, student, university, week, welcome
Maybe you were recently admitted to Butler and are wondering what to do now or maybe you received your admission letter back in December and are still unsure of what your next steps should be. If either ring true, this blog is for you! First, we want to extend a heartfelt “Congratulations” to you! Second, we ask that you complete the following action items to ensure you’re on the right track.
- If you haven’t done so already, make sure you submit your deposit. A refundable $300 enrollment deposit must be submitted on or before May 1 to guarantee your place at Butler University. To deposit:
- Log on to your student status page and view your admission decision.
- If you haven’t done so already, click “Reply to Offer of Admission” under the “Forms” section. Complete the form and click “Submit.”
- This will take you back to your main status page. Click “Submit Payment for $300.00.” Complete the form and click “Submit.”
- Select your New Student Registration Date. Even if you haven’t made your final college selection, we encourage you to attend New Student Registration. New Student Registration is a day for admitted students to come on campus to schedule classes, meet their professors, hear from current students, and more. It’s also is a great way to help you discover if Butler is the right fit for you. To select your date:
- Log on to your student status page.
- Click “New Student Registration Date Selection” under the “Forms” section on your main status page. Complete the form and click “Submit.”
- The Office of Admission will email you additional information with your date confirmation.
- Select your housing. While you have until June to select housing, we strongly recommend you do it as soon as possible to ensure you get your top choice. Even if you haven’t found a roommate yet, please complete the forms now and go back to add your roommate in at a later date. To complete your housing forms:
- Log on to My.Butler
- Select “Self-Service”
- Select “Student Center”
- Scroll to the bottom to find “Personal Information”
- Click on “Apply for Housing”
- Select “Getting Started”
Please take some time to complete these three very important steps. If you have questions, contact your admission counselor or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be more than happy to assist you.