Happy New Year everyone!! Over the past year, as with all years, the general public developed some crazy obsessions. Here are a few note-worthy obsessions (in no particular order) from 2012.
1. One Direction- This British boy band has won over the hearts of many screaming teenage girls and continue to do so every day. One Direction dolls, sticker books (I own one, it’s not a big deal…), calendars, a tour DVD, and much more have been produced. They also sold out their next two world tours, so I would say it is a safe bet that this obsession will carry on through 2013.
2. Call Me Maybe- The ultra-catchy pop song released by Carly Rae Jepson became a guilty pleasure for many. Countless tweets and Facebook statuses were devoted to the song’s lyrics, and she has even been nominated for a Grammy because of it. Essentially the song is ridiculously silly, but that catchy beat just makes you sing like there’s no tomorrow.
3. The Apocalypse- Speaking of no tomorrow, everyone obsessed over the prediction of the end of the world in accordance to the Mayan calendar. I’m pretty sure that the world has been “supposed to end” like five times before, but for some reason, people latched onto this prediction and thought it to be true. Quite obviously, the Mayans were wrong.
4. Gangnam Style- This Korean Pop (K-Pop) song has over one billion views, making it the most viewed video on YouTube EVER! Psy, the singer of this treasured gem of a tune, has become incredibly famous and has been signed to a record company in the United States. As long as all of his songs are as ridiculous and come with cheesy dance moves, I am in full support of his musical success.
5. iPhone 5- Technology is ever changing, and thanks to Apple and the iPhone, society is obsessed with getting the newest version of any technology related item released on the market. iPhones have been taking over the world recently, and with the release of the iPhone 5, people’s technology obsession is worsening.
6 .Snap Chat- Speaking of iPhones, Snap Chat has become a major obsession of the world recently. As I mentioned in this video, I have a flip phone, which quite obviously lacks Snap Chatting capabilities, but I have experienced the phenomenon that is Snap Chat. Now it is possible to send videos via Snap Chat, thus deepening the obsession.
7. The Hunger Games- The trilogy by Suzanne Collins has become increasingly popular this past year with the release of the equally popular movie adaptation of the first book. Attractive actors, action, and a little bit o’romance. What’s not to love?
8. Honey Boo Boo- TLC’s latest masterpiece is Here Come’s Honey Boo Boo. This television show features former Toddlers and Tiaras contestant Alana Thompson. She and her family are unapologetically their outrageous selves, which I can respect, but society better redneckognize that there is a problem with this being a normal thing to watch.
9. Kim Kardashian Baby- Speaking of problems with society, Kim and Kanye are having a baby! Remember when Kim was married that one time for 72 days? Yeah me neither. Hopefully these two semi-horrible human beings will be able to successfully raise a child together.
14. Pretty Little Liars- The popular television show on ABC Family had its season finale this fall and its major plot twist caused quite the buzz. The book series by Sara Shepard is still popular, as is this intense television show.
15. Fab 5- The women’s Olympic gymnastics team gained a lot of fame in these past Olympics. They all did incredibly well, and golden child Gabby Douglas sealed the deal on them all being fabulous with her two gold medals.
Happy New Year to all, and thanks for reading