Happy Thursday to all! The other night I watched one of my favorite movies of all time: Napoleon Dynamite. Whilst watching this cinematic masterpiece, I thought of several reasons why Napoleon Dynamite rocks.
1. The opening credits. The opening credits consist of the actors’, producer’s, and director’s names being written on different pieces of food and memorabilia related to Napoleon’s high school. This opening sequence is very creative and gives a splendid glimpse into the quirkiness that ensues throughout the rest of the film. Watch it here.
2. The fashion. Napoleon’s classic go-to look consists of a strange graphic t-shirt, some misshapen jeans, and a pair of black snow boots. Deb, another main character, consistently wears a fanny pack (heck yeah!) and a side ponytail. Uncle Rico dresses like he’s from the 70s, and Kip wears polos and white tube socks.
3. The tots. Napoleon puts tater tots in his pocket and eats them during class. When I was in about 6th grade, and there were tots for lunch, my friends and I put them in our pockets and ate them on the playground.
4. Kip online dated before it was cool. Kip met the love of his life, Lafawnduh, online. They’d chat online for like 2, 3 hours a day, so I guess you could say it was getting pretty serious.
5. Haley Duff. Hilary Duff’s less famous sister played Summer Wheatley. This was the beginning and end of her acting career.
6. The plot doesn’t develop until the movie is ¾ of the way done. Pedro doesn’t decide to run for class president until the movie is almost over, but by then I’ve already become so emotionally invested it doesn’t even matter.
7. The Happy Hands Club. The Happy Hands Club, or sign language club, performs to the Backstreet Boys while wearing sparkly blue dresses. So classic.
8. The dance Napoleon does at the end. This is by far the highlight of the entire film. Napoleon fearlessly shows off his sweet moves to help Pedro seal the deal as class president. Fun Fact: It’s on my bucket list to learn this dance. Sadly I can’t find the real clip of this dance, so just watch this video until 2:15 mark and you’ll be good.
9. So quotable. This movie is more quotable for me than Mean Girls is for the average teenage girl. “Tina you fat lard, come get some dinner!” “Stay home and eat all the flippin chips, Kip!” “Nobody wants a round-house kick to the face while I’m wearing these bad boys. Think again!” “Napoleon, don’t be jealous that I’ve been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know I’m training to be a cage fighter.” SO GOOD.
If you’ve never seen this wondrous film, do yourself a favor and watch it. It’s magical.
Have a rockin’ rest of break, and thanks for reading