As I’ve spent, well, really all of my winter break reflecting on how incredible 2012 has been for me, I can’t help but think of where I was this time last year. It was about this time that I had begun getting all of my acceptance letters from where I had applied to schools early including Butler, which was one of the first ones I received my acceptance from! (And as you can tell with the way things worked out- I’M HERE!)
Here’s a list of 4 things that I’m really grateful for and have helped improve my life for the better in the past 366 days.
- First and foremost, Butler University has been the single-handed greatest thing to happen to me this year. I have been blessed with so many opportunities within the university within the past semester alone, and I don’t even know where to begin stating how much I love the door college has opened for me.
- Not just my friends, but my family as well have dramatically changed my life this year. From the memories of my last semester of high school with completing my high school’s yearbook as editor-in-chief, the incredible memories I made with people over the summer, and also all of my new friends I’ve made have truly made this year something special. Even reconnecting with family members whom I had lost touch with have made this year more special than anything, and I can’t wait to make all of them proud as well.
- Traveling as much as I have this past year has truly been a privilege as well. Before 2012, I had never flown on an airplane – period. This year alone I’ve flown 10 different times to a variety of destinations, including Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Atlanta, and Washington D.C.. Flying/traveling is a new passion I have discovered this year, and thus has inspired me to major in International Business.
- Believe it or not, working while being home has been a great experience, too. Being a student blogger for Butler has truly been a great experience, but also working for both J. Crew and Fossil have been blessings (and curses) for a variety of reasons. I’ve met great people at both places, and I’ve learned a lot more through business from both places that have really made me feel like I want to be a businessman in the future (as cheesy as that sounds).
This is just a short-and-sweet list, but I could go on for days about each topic and even further in-depth, but I won’t. 2012 has truly been the best year of my life, and I have incredibly high expectations to see where 2013 will take me! Happy New Year, all!
Pictures don't do justice how great this year truly has been.
To give you a little more insight on who I am and what I do (when I’m not doing homework), I figured I’d make a list of my favorite items/things to do. I’m always on the go, whether I’m aimlessly walking around campus or if my friends are going somewhere off campus, I always jump at the opportunity to go with them and explore what I haven’t yet.
Here are a few things that I really, really enjoy, and probably will for the next four years:
- Fossil (brand) – I love love LOVE everything about Fossil- from watches, clothing, and leather pieces, I own it all…..almost. But seriously…I own 6 watches (so far), a leather watch box, a leather camera case, a leather valet tray, several wallets, a pair of shoes, several jackets / sweaters, jeans, t-shirts, and button-ups. It helps that I was employed by Fossil to not only fuel this obsession by allowing me to purchase all of the clothing with money I earned, but by also giving me a nice discount, too! Fossil’s products are high-quality and will definitely last…who could argue with a guaranteed 11-year warranty on all of their watches? My obsession has calmed down since I lost my discount because I came to school…but it’ll pick back up when I got home for breaks!
- Concerts - Back in Knoxville, there were always a bunch of concerts to go to…but it’s definitely not as popular of a destination as Indianapolis is for concerts. Over the past four years alone I’ve seen so many different artists, including some of my favorites such as Passion Pit, Lights, Relient K, Fun., Jack’s Mannequin (which is now just Andrew McMahon), and many more. While I’m in Indy, though, I do plan on seeing several other artists that I have yet to see, including Matt & Kim, Pretty Lights, and I do plan on attending the Life in Color (Dayglow) tour stop in Indy. I’m sure there will be a lot more shows this upcoming year I plan on attending, too!
- Mountain Hardwear - For some reason most people in the Midwest don’t know what Mountain Hardwear is, and that’s just so unbelievable to me. I just purchased my first Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man jacket back in March with money I received for my birthday, and didn’t really get to wear it much then because it was getting warmer back home, and now I’m finally getting a chance to wear it because it’s getting cold again! I only own one Monkey Man jacket in grey so far, but I’m definitely pleased and plan on purchasing another one in red, and maybe even one more in black because they’re just so warm/comfortable.
My watch collection....to date. More to come.
There are definitely a lot more things I “enjoy,” but this is just a short list. Plus, I have a cake to bake…more to come tomorrow about that! Happy Monday!