It doesn’t seem like fall is, well, fall anymore – it feels like it’s becoming winter very soon. I’ve been bundling up in layers on a daily basis in order to make it through the past few days, which have been excruciatingly cold and windy. Perhaps the wind is a side-effect of Hurricane Sandy, but it’s still been really cold. I mean, come on, today’s “real feel” was at 33….and it doesn’t get THAT cold in Tennessee until at least after Thanksgiving! It’s crazy! At least I’ll be working tonight, so I won’t really have to be outside…especially because it’ll get colder.
- Proof of today’s weather.
Also speaking of Sandy (yes, we are on a first-name basis), it’s so unfortunate to hear about what happened. My thought go out to all of those without power and for their losses. My friends who live in D.C. luckily were able to remain safe, and their classes were canceled on both Monday and Tuesday. I wish Butler would have done that to save me from this cold weather! But in all seriousness, this winter is going to be a challenge for me.
Check out this awesome time-lapse of Hurricane Sandy hitting New York City. Right around 42 seconds the power on the right side of the city goes out. It’s creepy, yet really intriguing.
October 11th of the year 2012 was a Thursday- a significant one at that. Today marks the first official day of “fall break.” Woohoo! Today was an awesome day. First and foremost, I woke up in the beautiful city of Washington D.C., and explored downtown and took the Metro all over the city. My friend Zach and I walked around EVERYWHERE, and it was a blast but also exhausting.
I’m staying until Sunday, and then flying back to Indy and will the back on campus. Butler looks truly incredible in the fall, and it this time last year that I actually visited campus and fell in love with it. So I DEFINITELY recommend checking out campus sometime this fall if you haven’t already! You won’t regret it!
Here’s a song that I pretty much listened to the entire way on the plane ride to D.C.- check it out! Happy fall break!
Now that Labor Day has come and gone, fall is FINALLY here! It’s also come a lot sooner in Indy than it would if I were back in Tennessee-that’s for certain. I woke up this this morning and was shocked when I saw that it was 52 degrees at 8:30…but I’m loving it! Fall is my favorite season of the year, and it’s absolutely the BEST time to visit campus! The first time I visited Butler was last October, and as soon as I arrived on campus I knew that I would spend my next four years here…and here I am! Today I’m wearing jeans and a thermal and I feel so comfortable/warm; I almost just want to curl up and watch a movie instead of going to my next class!
Speaking of classes- I’m loving my classes and class schedule. This is what my week looks like for the most part:
- FYS : Scary Stories – The Metaphor of a Zombie. - Yes, my FYS, which part of Butler’s CORE Curriculum, is about Zombies, but it’s also so much more at the same time. The class is very philosophical which is difficult to understand unless you’re actually in the class. I’m glad to be with the group of people I am with in the class as well as having such an awesome professor! This class will probably be talked about a lot in future posts just because it keeps me always questioning things & on the edge of my seat.
- NW: Urban Ecology - This class is about the ecology of not only Butler but also the entire city of Indianapolis (which is really interesting once analyzed). Everything we do in the lecture part of class we always follow up with a hands-on lab, and so far we’ve explored the city of Indianapolis and the Holcomb Gardens and I’ve only had the lab twice! This class also part of Butler’s CORE curriculum.
- Algebra - Okay, so as part of the College of Business I’m only required to take Business Calculus….if I had tested into it. So my algebra class is basically a preparatory class and I’ll take Business Calculus next semester.
- EI 101 : Freshman Business Experience - This is my favorite class by far not only because it’s a business class but it’s also the introduction to my major-once they finalize it-Entrepreneurship & Innovation. The class is very team-oriented and I’ve met a lot of people with similar interests that I have in the class, which is what college is about, right?
That’s all of my classes for the semester. It might not seem like much, but it is 14 hours and my adviser and I felt that 14 hours was a good amount for my first semester of college.
There’s a lot of stuff happening on campus lately. This past Friday my friends and I attended the Chiddy Bang show at Clowes which was a BLAST! My friend Whitney and I got separated from the rest of our group, but we ended up sitting in the very middle of the eighth row so getting separated wasn’t that big of a deal for me at least.
Chiddy Bang really knows how to put on a show!
There’s a lot more stuff going on campus soon, but I’m gonna save that for another post because I have to run to class. Have a great day, everyone, and I hope the weather is as enjoyable where you are as it is here on campus!
Tagged: butler university, campus life, chiddy bang, classes, clowes, clowes memorial hall, cob, college of business, CORE, entrepreneurship and innovation, fall, indianapolis, sweater weather, zombies