Over the fall break weekend I drove to Chicago to visit my friend Hayley, who goes to Loyola. The weather was extremely rainy and cold so I had to bundle up and drive carefully to get there!
On my way there!
Hayley had a dance performance at Loyola’s new performing arts center so I was happy to attend and show my support! It was part of one of her dance classes and they did a modern dance routine and I was definitely impressed!
After her performance, we went downtown to go shopping! I needed to go to Apple to get a new phone charger and to H&M to get a new sweater for the cold weather! But first we stopped by Macy’s and there I saw Nicki Minaj‘s new perfume/fragrance stand so of course I had to take a picture! I didn’t buy any since it’s for girls but I at least smelled it.
Overall, I had a fun time and can’t wait to go back to the Windy City (literally since the weather was so awful)!
I spent my whole day in Chicago yesterday visiting my friend Hayley. It was definitely a fun way of ending my Spring Break.
When I first got there, I had to get out of my car and let Hayley take the wheel because there was only one parking spot at her dorm and it was a really tight parallel spot. In case I haven’t mentioned it before, I am completely incapable of parking properly. After it took her for what it seems like 15 minutes to get in the spot, we decided to walk around and see all the people dressed in green since it was St. Patrick’s Day. I forgot to wear green but thankfully no one pinched me!
After we walked around, Hayley had a dance receital with her dance team from Loyola at UIC so I went with her there. It was really fun seeing the team perform and might attend another of their performances next month! After the competition we all went to McDonald’s and then walked back to her dorm where we spent the rest of the night telling funny stories of the summer before!
It ended up being a really fun day and it made me more excited about summer since the weather has been so nice lately!
Here's the team on stage during their performance
Thanksgiving Break is coming up and I have tons of things I want to do but here is my top ten list!
1. Go Black Friday shopping- Last year I got some good deals at Kohls and I plan to do the same too! Maybe this year I’ll go at midnight just to experience the huge crowds!
2. Go see a movie- I’m not sure what movies will be out at that time but I just know I want to see a movie! I hear Thanksgiving is the busiest movie day of the year so I also want to enjoy the crowds then too!
3. Do homework- This isn’t necessarily something I want to do but I know I have to do it since I keep pushing all my projects until then…. So, I might as well make the best of it!
4. EAT- Let’s be honest….. Isn’t this really what Thanksgiving is about!? I’m just going to be so glad to get a home cooked meal for the first time in weeks! I’ll definitely be happy to get a break from Atherton (although I awkwardly like the food there).
5. Spend time with family- It’s pretty self-explanatory but of course I can’t wait to see my family again!!
6. Get a haircut- Usually I get my hair cut every other week but I’ve been prolonging it since I’ll be home Friday to go where I usually get my hair cut! But, let’s just say my hair is currently as long as Kim Kardashian‘s…
7. RELAX- I’m mostly looking forward to doing this for a whole week! I can picture myself in my bed right now……
To get in the Thanksgiving mood, here is a video of people doing the Chicken dance! Though chickens and turkeys aren’t the same thing, a turkey dance doesn’t exist so here’s the next best thing!
Though I am on fall break, I feel like I have so many things I need/want to do! I have two media projects to do, I have to contact sources for stories I have to write, and I have to study for some of my upcoming mid-terms. So, I decided to make a list of all the things students should do to unwind with their families if they are feeling stressed over break like I am!
1. Ride your bike on a cool fall day- This is a great way to enjoy the nature all around and truly relax during your time off.
2. Watch a funny movie with your family- Last night my family watched “Baby Mama” starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler and it was very funny and definitely brought our family closer!
3. Cook- This one probably does not apply to me because I have the cooking skills of a dolphin but this may also be a way to enjoy your break with your family!
4. Do Homework every day- This may sound like the one thing you would NOT want to do but I’ve come to find that doing a little homework every day is extremely beneficial. I always try to do at least one or two assignments a day just so I won’t be stressed Sunday night trying to do them all.
5. Read a book- Nothing is better can cozying up under a warm blanket while reading a book! Or it does not even have to be a book. This morning when I woke up I read the newspaper. Not only did I feel relaxed but I also learned something from it too! For example, did you know about these ways to save at Starbucks?
6. Dance like no one is watching- I have a theory that everyone has their own little dancing spirit inside of them. Doing this not only gets my mind off of all the things I have to do but it also makes for great exercise. All you need is some good tunes!
7. Hang out with friends- Fall break is the first time I can see most of my high school friends. This weekend I plan to visit some of my friends at Loyola University.
Don’t ask why but this song makes me think of fall! And of course, I dance to it and sing along each time I hear it.
So as I mentioned yesterday, I have to interview 24 people for my Collegian story this week. And I can happily say I have done 20 of them! Looking back I think the hardest part was the intimidation of having to do 24 but it was not as hard as it seemed at first. I also got to meet some very interesting Butler faculty members in the process as well, so it was a win-win situation!
For my sportswriting class we get to do a story on the women’s soccer game on Wednesday against Cleveland State. I’m really excited because I have yet to go to a women’s soccer game at Butler. After the game we will get the chance to interview the coach and players, which is also exciting.
Last week there was a flash mob to get Jimmy Fallon to come to Butler! I missed it because I had a club meeting to attend. But, here is a video with the dance moves from the flash mob!
So today I went to the mall and used some of my Christmas money to go shopping. It was fun because it was like a high school class reunion because I saw almost EVERYONE from my class there. The bad part was that I couldn’t find anything I liked and the lines were too long! But I did buy some new shoes so that was a plus!
Afterwards I went to Chipotle, of course, and my friend Diana’s house to play her Wii Just Dance 2 game. Needless to say, I won every single round. I’m definitely getting it because it just might be the funnest game EVER!
Random Song of the Day: “Big Girl” by Mika
Random Photo of the Day:
Dominating in Just Dance!