Did you know?

Only 45 percent of Butler students are from Indiana. The student body is made up of students from 45 states and 52 foreign countries.


Featured Video

Butler is Discovery

More videos

Check us out on Facebook Follow us on Twitter! Butler's YouTube Channel Student Blogs Visit Butler on Instagram

Transfer Students

Transferring from one college to another can be a challenge. At Butler, we hope to make this transition as smooth as possible for students who are new to our campus community. Please familiarize yourself with the information below. If you follow these steps, you will be on your way to a smooth and successful transition. Print out this checklist for quick reference.

Important Action Items

Student Account Information ~ Show

Financial Responsibility

Butler University policy requires all students, including transfer students, to complete the Acceptance of Financial Responsibility (AFR) process each semester prior to enrollment. The AFR statement outlines the student's responsibility for paying all expenses, in addition to the penalties that may be incurred by the student if the expenses are not paid in a timely manner. 

Detailed information on how to complete the AFR process is as follows:

To complete the AFR, you must log on to your My.Butler account and navigate to Self Service, then Student Center. Accept Financial Responsibility is under the Finances section (NOT Campus Finances). Students must read the complete statement by scrolling down the text box and completing the process by accepting the terms and conditions by clicking on the radio button next to Terms and Conditions and click SAVE. By completing ALL steps, the service indicator, which prevents enrollment, will be removed from the account.

If you experience difficulty logging into your my.butler.edu account, please contact the Help Desk at
(800) 368-6852, ext. 4357.

Please direct any questions regarding this policy and procedure to the Office of Student Accounts at
(800) 368-6852, ext. 9353.


The Office of Student Accounts offers all Butler students E-Billing, an electronic billing statement published monthly. For more information on how to set up E-Billing, contact their Office of Student Accounts at (800) 368-6852, ext. 9353.

University policy requires all students to complete the Acceptance of Financial Responsibility (AFR) process prior to each semester. In order to register for classes, you must complete this process before your file will be forwarded to the designated academic department.

Transcript & Transfer Credit ~ Show

Your final official transcript(s) from your previous college(s) must be sent to the Office of Admission within three weeks after grades are posted at your prior institution. Without receipt of your final college transcript(s) to verify that you are in good academic standing, your enrollment at Butler University may be at risk.

You will find your Transfer Credit Evaluation report in the Academics section of the Student Center in your My.Butler account. See the directions below for information on accessing the report.

  1. Login and click Self Service, then Student Center.
  2. Under the Academics heading, click on Other Academics drop-down, and choose Transfer Credit Report. Then click the » button.
  3. On the Transfer Credit Report screen, select Undergraduate or Graduate as appropriate from the Academic Career drop-down list, then click the » button.
  4. In a pop-up window, you will see the words Running Report flashing briefly.
  5. Your Transfer Credit Evaluation report is displayed. To print, use the print button on your browser.

To return to the Student Center, close the pop-up window and click the Return to Student Center link at the bottom of the screen.

For additional transfer credit questions contact the Transfer Credit Evaluator in the Office of Registration and Records at (800) 368-6852, ext. 3044.

Placement Exams ~ Show

Exams are available prior to advising and should be completed prior to the time you plan to register. Butler University placement exams are completed online, and you will be notified by the Learning Resource Center as to which placement exams you are required to complete (please refer to email correspondence for specific exam information).

Butler University online placement exams are completed on the honor system. Remember that your results determine the appropriate course level.

The placement exams are offered through Butler's course management system, Moodle. For additional information about placement exams and directions for accessing the exams, visit www.butler.edu/learning.

Placement exams are intended to determine the appropriate course level for certain subjects. It is important that your knowledge is accurately measured so that you are not placed in a class that is either too easy or too difficult. Results are for placement purposes only, and your academic advisor will use the results to help you choose courses that fit your academic plan. Please review the following information about the placement exam process.

Academic Advising & Registration ~ Show

All incoming students, including transfers, will consult with an academic advisor in their department who will assist with enrollment. (NOTE: The advisor who assists you with your initial enrollment may or may not become your official academic advisor. Check your My.Butler account for your assigned academic advisor.)

Advising and registration take place prior to every semester, so you will have the opportunity to work with an academic advisor regardless of which semester you transfer into Butler University:

Fall Transfer Students:

If you are transferring to Butler University for the fall semester, you will have the option of registering during designated dates of New Student Registration (NSR); these dates will be provided on your enrollment paperwork. New Student Registration is a day during which you will have the opportunity to attend a resource fair of select University offices and programs, meet and hear from University officials, meet other students in your major, and learn more about your college and department's requirements and curriculum. You will have an individual registration appointment with an academic advisor in your major department and will register for classes while on campus.

While it is highly recommended that you attend a New Student Registration, we understand that you may have other commitments. If that is the case, you will be able to set up a phone registration with an academic advisor. Once you have finalized all necessary steps including the completion of your online placement exams, the Learning Resource Center will forward your file to your designated academic department. An academic advisor will be assigned and they or the departmental secretary will be in touch to schedule your registration time. Please contact the individual department directly if you have questions or concerns. Visit our academic programs listing for details on the individual colleges and academic departments.

You will receive a special version of Butler's Fall 2014 First-Year Course Recommendations booklet, listing all course options appropriate for incoming first and second year transfer students. This booklet will include course descriptions and meeting times for Core Curriculum and entry level classes for all majors. Please refer to this booklet as it will be helpful when planning your schedule; if you are attending New Student Registration, you will receive a copy of this booklet upon arrival.

Fall 2014 First year Booklet Cover

Fall 2014 First-Year Course
Recommendations booklet





Butler University encourages strong advising relationships between students and faculty. All incoming students are advised and initially enrolled by a faculty member in the academic department of the student's declared primary major. Each subsequent semester students are expected to meet with their advisor to discuss academic goals and to determine an appropriate class schedule

Orientation for Transfer Students ~ Show

Spring Transfers:

Typically orientation takes place three to four days prior to the start of the semester. Along with the formal orientation program, social activities are planned so you can learn more about Butler, the Indianapolis community, and your fellow transfer students.

Fall Transfers:

Orientation, called "Remix," takes place during Welcome Week. Along with formal programming, additional social activities and campus opportunities are offered so that you acclimate quickly to the Butler community.

You will be notified of the orientation opportunities during your transfer process. Any questions about what will be offered can be addressed to the Learning Resource Center.

To help in your transition and ease any nervousness you may have about the campus, you will have the opportunity to participate in an orientation and transition program prior to the start of the semester in which you will transfer to Butler.

Next Steps

Financial Aid ~ Show

The Office of Financial Aid strongly encourages all students and their families to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To receive priority consideration for all federal, state, and university aid programs complete the FAFSA between January 1 and March 1 each year.

You can file the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov. Be sure you include Butler University in the school section; Butler's school code is 001788. You also will need to check your BUMail account and your My.Butler account for updates from the Office of Financial Aid, including your offer of financial aid.

For more information, or if you have questions, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (877) 940-8200.

Housing Information ~ Show

After you have returned your enrollment form and deposit, you will receive access to the online housing contract and will be mailed an instructional pamphlet called Butler Bound. All first-year students not living at home with a parent or legal guardian are required to live in one of the University residence halls. All sophomore and junior students (including transfer students and those affiliated with a Greek organization) not living at home with a parent or legal guardian will be required to live in University housing or an approved Greek housing unit of which he or she is a member. Exceptions to this policy, or requests to live at home as a commuter student, must be approved in advance by the Office of Residence Life. Housing is not available to part-time students.

For more information on housing options and policies, contact the Office of Residence Life directly at
(800) 368-6852, ext. 9458, or visit www.butler.edu/residence-life.

Please be aware that Butler University policy requires all undergraduate students to live on campus until they reach senior status. Students who wish to live at home with a parent or legal guardian are required to have this request approved by the Office of Residence Life. Contact them directly at (800) 368-6852, ext. 9458.

Health & Policy Information ~ Show

Health Records

All Butler undergraduate students, living on or off campus, are required to submit a complete Student Health Record to Health Services. This includes evidence of a health physical conducted within the 12 months prior to enrollment. Access to the online Student Health Record can be found under "Forms" on the Health Services website or at MyHealth, a secure online portal.

Health Insurance

Health and accident insurance coverage is mandatory for all degree-seeking, undergraduate students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours. Students are required to enroll in the University-sponsored plan or waive enrollment by providing evidence of comparable coverage by established deadlines. You will need to visit the Health Services website to either provide your existing health insurance information or to enroll in the Butler-sponsored plan. If students do not respond by established deadlines, they will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the Butler-sponsored health plan on their student account statement.

Student IDs and Vehicle Registration ~ Show

Once you have been assigned a student identification number and have enrolled in classes, you may get your student identification card. The Butler University Police Department (BUPD) issues the ID card and you must go in person to their office during business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You must bring your driver's license in order to receive your ID. To register your vehicle, you must go in person to BUPD during business hours. You will need the make and model of your vehicle as well as the license tag number.

BUPD is located at 525 W. Hampton Drive, on the corner of Sunset Avenue and Hampton Drive.


If you have additional questions about the transfer process, contact the Learning Resource Center at (317) 940-9308 or via e-mail.