High School Course Requirements for Admission
English: 4 years
Math: 3-4 years (including Algebra II)
Laboratory Science: 3 years
History or Social Studies: 2-3 years
Foreign Language: 2-3 years of the same language
Intended science, pharmacy, computer science, engineering, or mathematics majors should have additional units in math and science.
Admission Selection Factors
Throughout the admission selection process, our counselors review the "whole" student by considering the following:
- Academic achievements: grade point average, high school transcript, the student's course load and class rank
- Standardized test scores (SAT or ACT); remember that the writing section of either test is required
- Personal Statement/Essay
- Guidance counselor's recommendation/Secondary School Report (PDF)
- Extracurricular involvement and leadership experience: athletic, literary, artistic, social service, church and community involvement, and employment
Completing the Application
A complete application includes:
- A personal statement/essay
- A résumé/summary of the student's accomplishments and activities
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores with a writing score
- Official high school transcript
- A Secondary School Report (PDF) completed by college counselor
Application Priority Dates
The Application for Freshman Admission and Scholarships will be available starting on August 1 for students applying to the fall entry term. Students can apply using the Butler Application for Admission and Scholarships or the Common Application.
Butler offers 2 non-binding admission programs. To qualify, application and supporting materials must be postmarked on or before the listed date.
- Complete application postmarked on or before November 1
- Decisions will be mailed by December 15
- Consideration for Freshman Academic and Departmental Scholarships and the Honors Program
- Enrollment form and admission deposit returned by January 31*
- Consideration for Freshman Academic Scholarships and the Honors Program
- Enrollment form and admission deposit returned by May 1
- Complete application postmarked on or before February 1
- Decisions will be mailed starting February 15
- Applications received after February 1 will be reviewed on a space-available basis
* Submitting your enrollment form by this date makes you eligible to attend New Student Registration beginning in May.
Butler adheres to the National Candidate's Reply Date of May 1. To guarantee a place in the freshman class, the $300 admission/housing deposit and enrollment form must be postmarked by this date. Enrollment deposits are fully refundable prior to May 1 for fall enrollment.
FAFSA Filing Information
November 1: Apply for a personal identification number at www.pin.edu.gov.
March 1: Priority date for filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
March 10: Indiana residents must file the FAFSA on or before 3/10 to be considered for state assistance.
March 15: Notification for financial aid begins.
FAFSA Code: 001788