Freshmen Admission Requirements
The Admission Committee takes the following criteria into account in evaluating applicants:
- Academic achievement in high school (GPA, class rank, course selection, grade trends, and strength of school)
- Test scores (with writing)
- Secondary School Report completed by your high school counselor
- Extracurricular activities and leadership experience/potential
- Writing Sample (an original essay based on one application prompt or graded essay from senior year with teacher comments included)
Butler does not have a minimum GPA, rank, or test score requirement for admission, but takes all five variables into consideration.
International Students: View additional requirements on the International Students page.
SAT and ACT Scores
We accept both SAT and ACT and recommend that students take both to see which is best for them. Butler looks at the highest subscores for each test and uses your new high test score for the admission decision.
Butler requires scores from the writing tests of the SAT and/or ACT. Keep in mind that the writing component is only one of many factors taken into consideration for admission.
High School Coursework
The classes you take in high school and the grades you earn are important factors in the college admission decision. The minimum requirements for admission consideration at Butler are:
- English: 4 years
- Mathematics: 3 years
- Laboratory Science: 3 years
- Social Studies/History: 2 years
- Foreign Language: 2 years of the same language
Intended science, pharmacy, computer science, engineering, or mathematics majors should have additional units in science and math.
Students who successfully complete advanced courses in high school are eligible for advance course placement at Butler, with appropriate academic credit. For details on Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) credits, please contact the Office of Admission.
Special requirements for home-schooled applicants (in addition to any policies listed above):
- Statement describing home school structure and mission
- Transcript/record of courses and grades
- Letter of recommendation from person other than parent