College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
As a student in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (COPHS), you will undergo a rigorous mix of classroom, laboratory, and experiential learning. Through our program, you will gain more than just knowledge about science. You will also learn how to build relationships with your patients and be a leader in your field.
In your first two years, you'll complete a pre-pharmacy curriculum, followed by four years of professional study toward the Doctor of Pharmacy degree. The Butler pharmacy program is one of only a few in the nation that guarantees your admission into the professional pharmacy phase. We call it the Butler Promise. Provided you meet the criteria listed below, you will automatically advance into the professional phase without having to re-apply.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- GPA greater than 3.0 in the 10 critical pre-pharmacy courses (two semesters of general chemistry, calculus, cell biology, first-year English, organic chemistry, speech, human anatomy, health sciences seminar, and ethics)
- Final course grades above a C- in all of the critical pre-pharmacy courses stipulated above
- Must take the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT) no later than January of their second pre-professional year and achieve a minimum composite percentile score of 55 and a PCAT average writing score of 3.0
- Successful completion of an in-person standardized interview including evaluation of verbal communication and interpersonal skills, ethical and professional characteristics, intellectual curiosity, leadership and emotional maturity, respect and empathy for others, and creativity.
Physician Assistant Program
Our Physician Assistant Direct Admit program is a six-year Master's-level program, and is only available for incoming (freshman) Butler students who express an interest in the Physician Assistant program and are admitted based on their high school GPA and standardized test scores. It is a competitive process that grants direct admission to the professional phase pending successful completion of the undergraduate requirements. All "Direct admit" students must complete an undergraduate Butler bachelor degree and the listed professional phase prerequisite course list. Other degree options will be considered upon petition. Specific criteria can be found here.
Spanish Immersion Program
The college offers a Spanish Immersion Program to students from all disciplines across campus. Butler faculty and students travel to Cuernavaca, Mexico to the Kukulcan School to interact with local families and to improve their conversational Spanish skills and enhance their healthcare vocabulary.
- Pre-Pharmacy: Two-year pre-professional phase with automatic entry into the four-year professional PharmD program (certain minimum requirements apply).
- Pharmacy: Four-year professional phase Doctor of Pharmacy
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program with Medical Spanish Emphasis
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program with Research Emphasis
- Doctor of Pharmacy/Master of Business Administration Pharm.D./MBA program
- Doctor of Pharmacy/Master of Pharmaceutical Sciences Pharm.D./MS program
Physician Assistant Direct Admit: Master of Physician Assistant Studies
For more information please visit www.butler.edu/pharmacy-pa.