College of Communication
The College of Communications (CCOM) prepares students for success in our increasingly digital and global society. From journalism to advertising, online communications to print, CCOM students develop skills by integrating theory with practice. Regardless of major, graduates of the college have the ability to critically analyze and synthesize human mediated communication, and learn to speak, write, and create responsible messages across dynamic communication contexts and media platforms.
Our innovative, experiential approach will empower graduates to excel in their chosen profession or to pursue graduate studies in a wide variety of fields. Recent graduates have gone on to work for top companies such as:
- Emmis Communication
- JP Morgan Chase Bank
- television affiliates across the country
- Fleishman-Hillard International
- Easter Seals
Others have chosen to pursue graduate degrees in law, communication, speech pathology, and public affairs at schools like:
- Washington University
- American University
- University of Michigan
- University of Wisconsin
- Tulane University
So, how do we put theory to practice?
- Through Butler's Center for Strategic Communication, students worked on proposals to assist the Indianapolis Opera target a younger audience.
- The nationally recognized Speaker's Lab is a student-operated program that offers peer training and support for classroom presentations and public speaking.
- Students spend their summers interning for credit at companies across the country. For instance: The Indianapolis Colts, Vox Global, General Mills, political campaigns and the NCAA.
- In 2010, the Butler Collegian won seven first-place awards and 14 honors overall from the Indiana Collegiate Press Association.
Faculty working within the college are active scholars and accomplished professionals who utilize an interdisciplinary style of teaching. The strong grounding in liberal and creative arts will prepare our graduates to be socially responsible and civically engaged leaders in their careers and communities.
College of Communication Majors:
- Communication Sciences & Disorders
- Communication Studies
- Digital Media Production
- Electronic Media
- Critical Media Studies
- Media, Rhetoric & Culture
- Organizational Communication & Leadership
- Public Relations & Advertising: Strategic Communication
- Recording Industry Studies
For more information, please visit www.butler.edu/ccom.