Areas of Expertise
Teaching Interests: Business Finance, Corporate Finance, Financial Management, Money and Capital Markets, Financial Institutions and Markets, International Finance
Research Interests: Corporate Control and Governance, Corporate Fraud, Security Analyst Behavior, Market Efficiency, Corporate Finance, Venture Capital and Private Equity Funds, Hedge funds
Contributions: (published works or studies, conference presentations)
Stephen, S. A.
and V. Apilado, 2013. “The Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Security Analyst Monitoring
Activity, and Firm Value”, Journal of Applied
Business and Economics, 14(1),
Stephen, S. A.
and V. Apilado, 2012. “Financial Analysts' Performance post Sarbanes-Oxley”,
Journal of Accounting and Finance, 12(2), Forthcoming.
Stephen, S. A.
and P. J. de Jong, 2012. “The Impact of
the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) on the Cost of Equity Capital of S&P Firms”, Journal of Applied Business and Economics, 13(2): 102-115.
De Jong, P. J. and S. A. Stephen, 2010. “Market Value, Intangibles,
and Security Analysts: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis”, 2010. Independent
Business Review, 3(1):
1. “Financial Analysts’
Performance Post Sarbanes-Oxley”, with Vince Apilado
· Presented at the 2011 Southern Finance Association conference,
Key West, FL
2. “The Sarbanes-Oxley Act,
Firm Size, and the Cost of Equity Capital”, with Pieter de Jong
· Presented at the 2010 Eastern Finance Association conference,
3. “The Impact of
the Sarbanes-Oxley Act on Security Analysts’ Performance”, with Vince Apilado
· Presented at the 2008 Financial Management Association
conference, Grapevine, TX
4. “Stock Split
Announcements, Split Ratios and the Existence of Options Markets”, with Salil Sarkar
· Presented at the 2006 Academy of Economics and Finance
conference, Houston, TX
OTHER CONFERENCE PARTICIPATION
· Discussant, 2012 Southern Finance Association Annual
Meeting, Charleston, SC
· Discussant, 2011 Southern Finance Association Annual
Meeting, Key West, FL
· Discussant, 2010 Financial Management Association
Annual Meeting, New York, NY
· Discussant, 2010 Eastern Finance Association Annual
Meeting, Miami, FL
· Discussant, 2008 Financial Management Association
Annual Meeting, Grapevine, TX
· Discussant, 2006 Financial Management Association
Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT
· Discussant, 2005 Financial Management Association
Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL
PAPERS UNDER REVIEW
“Enhancing The Learning Experience In Finance Using
Online Video Clips”, 2012. Journal of Financial Education. (Sole
· “Stock Splits and Options: The Impact on Market Efficiency”, 2011. With Salil K. Sarkar.
· “Effects of Interest on Reserve
Deposits on Bank Lending”, 2012. With Isaac Marcelin.
“Bank Liquidity and Interest on Reserve Deposits”, 2012. With Isaac Marcelin.
“The Financial Crisis and the Impact
on Developing Countries: The Caribbean Perspective”, 2010. (Sole Author)
Butler Assignment (classes or work duties)
I teach Corporate Finance (FN 340), Financial Institutions and Markets (FN 371 and MBA 561), and Financial Management (MBA 530).
I enjoy reading, traveling and watching sports.