Areas of Expertise
Clinical Psychology; reasoning & psychopathology; clinical judgment & decision making; stigma of mental illness; treatment outcome; substance disorders.
Contributions: (published works or studies, conference presentations)
- Martin, J. M., Warman, D. M., & Lysaker, P. H. (2010). Cognitive Insight in Non-Psychiatric Individuals and Individuals with Psychosis: An Examination Using the Beck Cognitive Insight Scale. Schiz Res, 121, 39-45.
- Warman, DM, Lysaker, PL, Martin, JM, Davis, L, & Haudenschield, SL. (2007). Jumping to conclusions and the continuum of delusional beliefs. Beh Res Therapy, 45, 1255-1269.
- Warman, DM, Lysaker, PL, & Martin, JM (2007). Cognitive insight and psychotic disorder: The impact of active delusions. Schiz Res, 90, 325-333.
- Warman, DM, & Martin, JM (2006) Jumping to conclusions and delusion proneness: The impact of emotionally salient stimuli. J Nerv Ment Dis, 194, 760-765.
- Warman, DM, & Martin, JM (2006) Cognitive insight and delusion proneness: An investigation of the Beck Cognitive Insight Scale. Schiz Res, 84, 297-304.
- Pfeiffer, AM, Whelan, JP, & Martin, JM (2000). Decision-making bias in psychotherapy: Effects of hypothesis source and accountability. J Couns Psych, 47, 429-436.
- Warman, D.M., Martin, J.M., Lazar, E.K., Baez, A., Goldsmith, K., Harrison, A.G., Hartsfeld, J., Hunter, S., Hurm, K., Jordan, B., Lezon, A., Longman R.M., Marsh, J., Patton, C., & Thompson, C. (2012, November). Social distance from individuals with schizophrenia: The unique influence of mental illness. Presented at the 46th annual ABCT, National Harbor, MD.
- Martin, J.M., DeWinter, D., Spengler, E.S., Longman R.M., Lezon, A., Lazar, E.K., Thompson, C., Jordan, B., Patton, C., Hartsfeld, J., Marsh, J., Goldsmith, K., Hunter, S., & Warman, D.M. (2011, November). Jumping to Conclusions in Highly Self-Referent Conditions: Delusion Proneness and Surveillance. Presented at the 45th annual ABCT, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Sperry, H.A., Martin, J.M., Spengler, E.S., DeWinter, D., & Lazar, E.K. (2010, November). Jumping to Conclusions Bias: Effects of Decision Making on Attitudes toward Body Image and Food. Presented at the 44th annual ABCT, San Francisco.
- Martin, J. M., & Drudy, M. L. (2009, November). Depressive schema activation and correspondence bias: The role of self-referent and schema congruent information. Presented at the 43rd annual ABCT, New York.
- Martin, J. M., & Warman, D. M. (2008, November). Cognitive insight and the need for closure. Presented at the 42nd annual ABCT, Orlando.
- Martin, JM, & Warman, DM (2007, November). Cognitive insight and confirmation bias. Presented at the 41st annual ABCT, Philadelphia.
- Martin, JM, & Montgomery, MM (2006, November). Confirmation bias and depressive symptoms. Presented at the 40th annual ABCT, Chicago.
- Martin, JM, & Wojnaroski, MV (2006, May). Two strikes are better than one: Interacting mental illness and racial stereotypes. Presented at the 18th annual APS, New York.
- Warman, DM, Dunahue, S, Martin, JM, & Beck, AT (2004, November). An investigation of the Beck Cognitive Insight Scale in the general population. Presented at the 38th annual AABT, New Orleans.
Butler Assignment (classes or work duties)
Learning (PS202), Research Methods and Statistics II (PS211), Personality Psychology (PS440), Abnormal Psychology (PS441), Intervention/Psychotherapy (PS443), Seminar in Applied Psychology (PS479)
Institutional Review Board (Chair), Butler Undergraduate Research Conference (Psychology area coordinator), Internship coordinator, Psi Chi advisor, Honors exam coordinator